Serves 4 | 5 minutes prep | 15 minutes cooking
- 220g spaghetti
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic squashed
- 75g guanciale (the cheek of the pork is the original) or pancetta (Italian bacon) cut into small cubes if you really need to then you can use bacon instead
- 3 egg yolks for the richest carbonara (but you can also do 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk)
- 50g parmesan cheese (or aged pecorino) freshly grated
- freshly ground black pepper
Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente. No oil required!
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the pancetta to your preference with the crushed garlic.
Lightly beat the egg yolks in a large bowl with the grated cheese and pepper (no salt needed because of the pasta and pancetta are quite salty).
When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan with the pancetta. Add 2 tbsp of the pasta water. Then mix well to coat everything. Take off the heat. Allow to cool slightly. Then add the egg and cheese mixture and stir. If it starts to curdle, you can save it with a touch more pasta water - keep it off the heat!
Coat the pasta and serve immediately.