Serves 2 generously | 5 minutes prep | 20 minutes cooking
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 chilli
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 x 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 210g can of beans of your choice! (Butterbeans, Kidney Beans, Borlotti Beans, Cannellini Beans etc.)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Toasted wholemeal to serve
- Chopped Parsley to serve
Heat the oil in a small pan, add the onion, chilli and pepper, and fry gently until soft, about 10-15 mins. Crush half the garlic and add this to the pan, along with the tomatoes, beans and some seasoning. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 mins or until slightly reduced and thickened. Add sugar or balsamic to mimic the sweet tang of Heinz.
Serve on delicious buttered toast with chopped parsley over the top!